We host two international flash fiction writing competitions; the Bath Flash Fiction Award, and the Bath Novella-in-Flash Award. In addition to winning cash prizes, entrants have the opportunity to appear in our print and digital anthology collections, and also as single author novellas-in-flash. Our books are published by the award-winning small press Ad Hoc Fiction, and are available to buy from their own independent bookshop as well as worldwide from Amazon.
What is Flash Fiction?
A good question, with a suitably brief answer here. But whether you are new to flash fiction or an experienced writer, we recommend the craft guide book Going Short – an invitation to flash fiction by creative writing professor and expert in the flash fiction form, Nancy Stohlman. Published by Ad Hoc Fiction in Oct 2020 and available worldwide, Going Short recently received a starred review at the prestigious Kirkus Reviews.
Bath Flash Fiction Award
Three rounds per year: March to June, July to October, and November to February. Full details in the rules. In summary:
- 300 word limit.
- £1000 prize for the winner, £300 second and £100 third. Two commendations £30 each.
- 50 longlisted entrants offered publication in our end of year print and digital anthology. Those accepting receive a free print copy.
- Flash Award judge, Tim Craig, shortlists to 20 and chooses the winning, second, third, and two commended fictions.
- The current Flash Fiction Award round closed Midnight GMT 4 June 2023.
- Winners will be announced by 1 July 2023 on our Winners pages.
- Enter the Flash Fiction Award here online.
Bath Novella-in-Flash Award
Unlocking The Novella-in-Flash: from Blank Page to Finished Manuscript, by Michael Loveday, is the first ever full roadmap for creating your own novella composed of flash fictions or very short stories. Well known flash fiction writer and teacher, Kathy Fish says: “This is it, writers. This is all you need if you’re even thinking of writing a novella in flash. Michael Loveday has written the destined-to-become-a-classic bible on the form.” Published by Ad Hoc Fiction in May 2022 and available worldwide.
Our Novella-in-Flash award runs once per year. Full details in the rules. In summary:
- 6000 to 18000 word limit – each flash should not be more than about 1000 words.
- £300 prize for the winner, two runner-up prizes of £100.
- Novella Award judge, John Brantingham short-lists then chooses the winner and two runners-up.
- Winner and two runners-up are published as individual novellas. All entries considered for publication. Each published author receives five copies.
- The Novella-in-Flash Award closed on Midnight GMT 15 January 2023.
- Winners announced April 2023 on our Winners pages.
- Enter the Novella-in-Flash Award here online.
We curate views, interviews and reviews of all things flash. Our small press, Ad Hoc Fiction, focusses on the short-short form, producing high quality publications – anthologies, single author collections, novellas-in-flash and a new series of craft guide books to writing flash fiction.
We also organise and fund Flash Fiction Festival, the UK’s only literary festival dedicated entirely to flash fiction. We ran festivals in 2017, 2018 and 2019 and hope to run this popular weekend event again as soon as large face-to-face gatherings are possible. Currently open as an online event for £30 per day. Book here.
The awards are organised by Jude Higgins, with the help of a development team who run our websites and devise new projects. Jude directs the festival, co-runs the international Bath Short Story Award and organises her own online flash fiction writing workshops. She is a widely published flash fiction writer and writing tutor, holding a Masters Degree in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University.
Bath Flash Fiction Award is self-supporting and not-for-profit. We pride ourselves in our ability to continually develop new ways to promote emerging flash fiction writers and flash fiction in general. If you would like to talk to us further, we tweet @BathFlashAward, can be found on FaceBook, or you can contact us here.